Every student should know the guidelines for the Alberta High School Diploma. It is the students’ responsibility to ensure that they have the proper courses and credits required for graduation, and to notify the school of any courses taken through Alberta Distance Learning.
Graduation List Requirements
The graduation list will be posted in the display case outside of the Student Services office, starting in late April, 2020. Students appearing on the graduation list will be able to graduate from SGCHS and participate in the commencement ceremonies, pending their continued good standing and diploma exam performance.
Specific requirements for making the graduation list are explained in the Commencement Ceremonies Handbook. (2020 Edition Coming Soon!)
Alberta High School Diploma Requirements
To attain an Alberta High School Diploma, a student must earn a minimum of 100 credits by completing:
- 15 credits English (must complete 30-1 or 30-2)
- 15 credits Social Studies (must complete 30-1 or 30-2)
- 10 credits Mathematics (must complete 20 level)
- 10 credits Science (must complete 20 level)
- 3 credits Physical Education 10
- 3 credits CALM (Career & Life Management)
- 10 credits Options (Career & Technology Studies or Fine Arts Second Languages or Physical Education 20 or 30)
- 10 credits Any 30 level courses (other than English or Social)
- Total credits of at least 100
How to order:
If you are applying to an Alberta post-secondary institution, the post-secondary institution can order transcripts online on your behalf from ApplyAlberta. Transcripts ordered from ApplyAlberta on your behalf are free of charge.
- To order transcripts for other purposes, you can order online from myPass.alberta.ca. There is a small non-refundable processing fee for each copy. You can request transcripts to be sent on your behalf to any destination of your choice.
- For an Apprentice transcript, visit MyTradesecrets.
After diploma examinations, transcript availability schedules are as follows:
- First semester transcripts are available mid-February
- Second semester transcripts are available mid-July
- Summer school transcripts are available the last week of August
For the most detailed and up-to-date information about high school transcripts, please visit Alberta Education's website.
A Grad Fee of $52.50 is included in each student’s fees. This fee covers:
- Rental of the graduation gown
- Graduation cap, tassel, cover and certificate that each student keeps
- One picture of the graduate crossing the stage and receiving their certificate from their grade coordinator
This fee must be paid prior to the Graduation Photo Sitting.