Board Meeting Highlights - October 4, 2016
The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, October 4, 2016. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
- The Board received information including the 2016-2017 School Enrolment Report. Parkland School Division total enrolment as of September 30, 2016 is 10,888 students.
- Total enrolment reflects an increase of 220 students over numbers reported September 30, 2015. (+2.06%)
- West End Area Schools are down 3 students. (+0.38%)
- Town of Stony Plain schools are up 12 students. (+0.39%)
- City of Spruce Grove schools are up 184 students. (+4.08%)
- Prescott Learning Centre's enrolment as of September 30, 2016 is 587
- Many Parkland Village School students moved to Prescott Learning Centre bringing the total enrolment for Spruce Grove and area up 131 students (+2.51%)
- The Board welcomed as a delegation Grade 4 students from Brookwood School who shared a presentation on Mindfulness led by teacher and Mindfulness Coach Tracy Montgomery.
- The Board approved the 2016-2018 Board Communications Plan. Parkland School Division’s vision and mission guide this plan. Defining actionable, results-oriented goals is critical to the success of the organization’s strategic communications and marketing efforts.
- The Board of Trustees voted 5 - 2 against the recommendation put forward regarding Electoral Ward Restructure. The recommendation was that Parkland School Division No. 70, Pursuant to Sections 210(d) and 247 of the School Act, request approval of the Minister for the redivision of wards noting that the total number of trustees to be elected to the wards remains unchanged. The Board debated the pros and cons of the Draft Appendix included in the October 4, 2016 Board Agenda Package.